Thursday, August 6, 2015

Dad at V.A. Hospital in Des Moines

Tuesday afternoon, I received a call from my mom that Dad has been sick. He had just been to the VA hospital in DesMoines three days prior for severe neck pain. They gave him a numbing shot and then a muscle relaxant injection. It did help slightly but then got worse again. 

But on Tuesday (8/4/15) when she called, he now had fever and chills during the night and was still complaining of neck pain. I was worried he might have meningitis. I told her I would feel better if they went to VA before he got worse again. I called back around 9pm and asked how he was and again reiterated I thought they should go to the hospital, especially with recent MRI findings that he has had a few mini strokes in the past.  So they called back around 10pm and said they were on the way to the VA in DesMoines.  They arrived at the VA around midnight. He was in the ER until about 7am Wednesday morning (8/5/15) . He had blood work, blood culture, MRIs and a spinal tap. He was admitted to the ICU with a high CRP and a high WBC (white blood cell) count of 18.8. NORMAL RANGE: 4.3-10.0

Later in the day on Wednesday, he was put on isolation precautions (everyone wears a mask when they enter the room) and they were closely monitoring his kidney function.

This morning, Thursday, August 6th, I called and talked to the ICU nurse. His spinal tap was negative. Thank God! His WBC is now 14.0, still not normal..but improving. YAY! More good news!
They have not been able to identify the area of infection yet. He is on a broad spectrum antibiotic for the time being. Results of the blood culture should be known in the next 24 hours. Drs are expected to round between 8am-9am and I will get an update later in the morning to see what the plan of the day will be.

Prayers for continued healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment