Monday, February 24, 2014

The month of February

I haven't gotten any updates during the month of February, so here is a quick summary of what's been going on here.

Doug has been in Amsterdam since January 3rd.

My parents arrived for a visit the last week of January and were in town until February 24th.
They left Iowa in December and were in North Carolina for about a month before coming here.

They made it in time to avoid a couple of snow/ice incidents in the Dallas,TX area.

February 6th, 2014 - a light to moderate snow event.
 February 7th - my mom and dad celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary.
We celebrated with breakfast out at "Jimmy's Egg" on Saturday
and then I took them to "Outback Steakhouse" on Sunday.
Dad had the Coconut Shrimp, Mom had the Victoria filet.
 February 11th, we lost electricity for about 4 hours.
I have a gas stove, so figured I could still make lunch.
Tried to make sandwiches, but didn't have a hand can opener (only electric)
so I had to use my bottle opener to get the can of Manwich opened to continue with my lunch plans.
 Mid February, I received a "Rainbow Loom" bracelet from my niece Makayla.
If anyone needs one she has a start-up company that she is trying to make some extra
spending money. She will be a teenager before you know it! 
 February 17th, I went to the doctor for a sore elbow.
I had been using ice and lots and lots of ibuprofen without much relief.
The physician at OrthoTexas told me I had Tennis Elbow.
He gave me a cortisone shot in the elbow and
was instructed to wear a wrist brace for forearm support.
 Saturday, Feb 22nd a group of us went to Dallas to participate in the
Guiness Book of World Record event for sandwich making.
It also supported a worthwile cause, feeding the homeless! 

Here is the link for the newspaper article in the Dallas Morning News: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/databases/20140222-dallas-volunteers-gain-spot-in-guinness-for-simultaneous-sandwich-making.ece

 There were approximately 1900 volunteers
 One of the local celebrities at the event
Terrell Owens - Cowboys wide receiver #81
 
 
Karl and Audrey came home for a visit to see Grandma Dot and Grandpa Wilbert.
Jackie and Jonathan also came home for a visit but they stayed at the Elliotts and were able to
babysit Andrew while we did made sandwiches downtown.
 
Jackie practiced her Mary Kay presentation on all the girls.
She is starting a new venture and we wish her well.
 
We delayed celebrating Valentine's Day until after Doug got home from Amsterdam. 
  Doug arrived home from Amsterdam on Friday, February 21st.
He was gone for 7 weeks and he will have to probably go back some time in March.
 
This is a bottle of wine, I created on our September trip to Napa Valley.
Conn Creek Blending Experience - provides guests a rare opportunity to learn about, taste, and blend wines from the many distinctive regions that make up Napa Valley.
Better yet, you get to play winemaker for a day and take home the fruit of your labors — literally.
Mine was made the day after our 33rd wedding anniversary.
It was aged for 5 months before we opened the bottle.
 We enjoyed the bottle of wine with a filet mignon and grilled vegetables.
The wine and the food were both awesome!! 
Now Doug is feeling the pressure to see how his blend will compare to mine!
Signed, Future Vitner
 
Other memorable things I did with my mom/dad  (but no photos to go with them) 
There were a few visits to the Elliotts house and once for dinner.  The chicken fajitas were awesome!
We took Mom and Dad to see the house they are building in Little Elm.  And of course plenty of playtime with Andrew!
 
We dined out a few times: Jimmy's Egg (breakfast - twice)  Red Hot & Blue (catfish & BBQ), Outback Steakhouse (shrimp/steak), Steak & Shake (my mom's new favorite place ~ she loves their banana shakes!!  Too bad there are only two locations in Iowa.)
We drove over the new toll bridge that goes over Lake Lewisville.
 
We visited Jackie/Jonathans apartment in Bryan,TX.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
The last of February, Doug and I prepare to take vacation with some of the Kuklenz family
(Dustin, Karen, Diane & Nathan)  Royal Caribbean "Majesty of the Seas"; a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas.  Counting the days to some sun and fun!   See you in March!

1 comment:

  1. Makayla will appreciate the plug for her rainbow loom business! Have fun on your trip!!

    ReplyDelete